Dave was born in 1966 without legs, later he attended Wickenburg High School in Arizona where he was a 3 sport athlete (Football, Baseball, Wrestling). While in HS Dave set 3 Arizona State Records, most takedowns in a single wrestling season (118), most career Baseball Walks (96) previously held by Bob Horner, and also the Season Record for Walks (46).
After High School Dave went on to attend Augsburg College in Minneapolis, MN where he was a varsity letterman in Football from 87-90. He was also a varsity letterman in Baseball in 87, in which his team went to the Division III national tournament. Below are a few of Dave’s accomplishments…
To this date he is the only congenital amputee to ever play college football or Minor League Baseball.
- Winner of 7 Emmy Awards-For Contributions to many ESPN shows such as Baseball Tonight, SportsCenter & Sunday NFL Countdown
- Played for the St. Paul Saints Minor League Independent Team in 1996: 2nd Base and was teammates with Darryl Strawberry and Jack Morris.
- Team USA All Star Football Tour 1993 as Nose Guard, Team went 3-0 vs Irish Professional Team
- NFL Free Agent Tryout Dallas Cowboy’s 1991
- Augsburg Grid Iron Tour to New Zealand/Australia 1998 as Nose Guard, the team went 3-0 vs New Zealand/Australian Professional Teams
- 1984, 1985 Cincinnati Reds Tryout
- 1983 Minnesota Twins Tryout
Dave has worked at ESPN for 15 years in various roles and is currently the Assignment Desk Manager where his team is responsible for coordinating coverage for all Sports Teams in the United States. Dave has been featured in dozens of Magazines/Newspapers/Television: That’s Incredible, ABC Sports, NBC Today Show, CBS This Morning, ESPN, Sports Illustrated, USA Today, National Enquirer, Reader’s Digest, Extra, Entertainment Tonight and This Week in Baseball.
He is a single father of 3 boys.